Restoring an R1155 Receiver (/cont.)
One thing in particular that makes the R1155 not the easiest of receivers to work on is the fact that the chassis and front panel cannot be seperated. I have seen some grotty looking chassis, however this one is in surprisingly good condition considering it’s age.  
The business of re-stuffing capacitors has been something that I have up until now resisted. However the R1155 has a total of thirteen chassis mounted tubular capacitors eight of which are mounted above the chassis. I was very relieved to find that all the large block capacitors were in sound condition as were all the silvered mica capacitors.
Old triple capacitor out of it’s can
2 triple capacitors ready for re-stuffing
Since the eight tall tubular capacitors can be considered classic in terms of looks these were dutifully given the treatment as were the five other under-chassis bolt-ons. Regarding the tall tubulars, I used a 15mm pipe cutter to cut them open and used a combination of Araldite and super-glue to re-join the can afterwards. Finally I added a ring of self-adhesive tin-foil for good measure. Some people might want to take the re-stuffing business to the extreme by applying it to all tubular capacitors like those in the hum-filter. I was intrigued to see a wad of electricians cloth tape jammed between the sub-chassis and the lower end of the capacitor on the left. I opted to simply replace the two tubular capacitors with smaller new ones. My policy regards replacing resistors is to replace them ALL using new ones with a minimum dissipation of 800mW. Believe it or not, the small 27K resistor in the photograph on the right is actually a 1W job!  
Hum Filter before
Hum Filter after