R1155A Ser. No. 40696 (cont/)

The lid for the coil-box was also missing as was the Aural Sense tag board. Whereas 2 of the front-panel controls had just been fitted to fill holes, the replacement of the dual-gang AF/RF gain control did appear genuine. Traces of modern PVC covered wiring (bright green) gave the impression that at some time in its history, this particular R1155 had been modified. On the ‘bright side’, I found one wave-wound inductor lying inside the DF compartment along with a variety of other DF circuit components.

Fortunately, before my friend eventually disposed of his three derelicts, I had the presence of mind to salvage a number of parts. These included, a complete BFO/DF compartment, a pencil strip, a complete coil-box complete with lid, the bunch of capacitors associated with V9 that are mounted on the coil-box adjacent to the bevel gears, and several front panel labels!

The last remaining wave-wound L24 inductor was provided by Roger Scott, G4KVQ by way of a request for parts on this website. Peter Holtham, VK4COZ very kindly provided the nearly impossible to find L23 transformer. The latter was known to be faulty but turned out to be what I think was a manufacturing error ... The outer end of the outer winding was not actually soldered to the wire leading to the tag on the top! Easily fixed!! The DF tag-board (stripped), Meter Balance pot, S2 and the Aural Sense tag-board assembly were all obtained over time via eBay and another 1155 enthusiast, Phil Staplehurst, came up with the Meter Amplitude and AF/RF gain potentiometers as well as the three missing tubular capacitors. Over all it took the best part of 18 months to collect all the missing parts. I was now ready to proceed!

The photograph on the right shows the bare chassis. Having previously stripped my own AD8882B, I already had the bags in which to store the individual components/assemblies for future use. As I took it apart, I was aware of a distinct petroleum smell. As you can see from the photograph there is a residue of something clinging to the chassis. I do wonder if this was the result of an airborne incident or whether someone had used petrol to clean the set. If it was the latter, it was not effective.

The photograph on the left shows the terrifying coil-box stripped, cleaned and awaiting re-assembly. The original wiring was in an atrocious state with the insulation instantly turning to a gooey mess when the soldering iron was applier to the wire,